What can I make with 3lbs of ground beef? It is a common question when you are a true beef lover.
Ground beef is the foundation of many delicious meals, and it is hard to find someone who does not like it when it is prepared properly.
Everyone loves tacos, spaghetti, and nachos made with ground beef, and it is just as popular when served elsewhere.
But, how do you play around considering the amount of beef you have?
Learning what to make with 2lbs of ground beef or the best recipes using 1-2 lb ground beef can turn you into a culinary genius.
Let’s find out about the best dishes you can make based on the quantity of beef you have at your disposal.
What Can I Make with 3lbs of Ground Beef in No Time?
To no one’s surprise, you already know the drill. The weekend flies by and now it is Monday night and you have not planned what to eat.
On days like this, it is best to stick to simple, straightforward meals. A quick ground beef dinner is perfect for those times.
Boiling the meat is an excellent way to get rid of excess fat.
Although the process may not sound appealing, it is a great fat-free alternative to frying.
Tip: Always consider the lean-to-fat ratio when buying beef to ensure it works perfectly for the recipe you have in mind.
Are There Different Types of Ground Beef for Different Recipes?
Before you go ahead and decide to cook anything with 3lbs of ground beef, it is a good idea to educate yourself about its types and order the best.
Mostly, you can divide ground beef into three categories, based on its fat content.
If you want something truly juicy and tender, you need to go with ground chuck.
It comes with about 15-20% of fat, and you can easily drain it off once cooked.
Go with this one if you are interested in the leanest ground beef. You can find it with 7-10% fat.
Because of its flavor, it works great in spaghetti sauce. You may find it a bit too dry for burgers, though.
Basic Ground Beef
You may stick to basic ground beef if you want the fattiest cut. It contains about 30% of fat.
Tip: Be sure to grind the fresh packaged beef to ensure it is in the best condition.
What Can You Cook with 3lbs of Ground Beef?
Ground beef is incredibly flavorful, simple to prepare, and difficult to ruin in the kitchen.
It is also highly pocket-friendly because it is one of the cheapest proteins you can buy.
Whether you are making burgers, chili, or meatloaf, ground beef is a versatile ingredient that goes well with many other flavors.
Here is what you can do with 3lbs of ground beef.
Cook Basic Cooked Ground Beef
Make large quantities of ground beef and store it in the freezer so you can use it in sauces, soups, and other dishes at any time.
- 3lbs of ground beef
- A couple of garlic cloves
- A small onion
- Salt and pepper
Step #1: Mix the Ingredients
Take a large skillet and heat it over a medium heat setting. Then, add diced onion, ground beef, and minced garlic to it.
Be sure to use a spoon or something to break up ground beef properly.
Step #2: Cook for Long Enough
In most cases, you need to cook for up to 10 minutes. But, keep an eye on the onions and stop when they are translucent.
You may also stop cooking when the beef is tender.
Step #3: Let It Cool
Be sure to drain any grease and leave the beef to cool completely.
Then, take freezer bags and divide the meat into smaller portions. Do not forget to mention the date you cook the beef, as it is likely to last up to 4 months in the freezer.
Ground Beef Chili
When you have 3lbs of ground beef, you have so many options when cooking, and going with beef chili is probably among the most popular.
- 3lbs of ground beef
- A medium green pepper
- A large chopped onion
- A couple of celery ribs
- A couple of cans of kidney beans
- A can of tomato puree
- A can each of condensed beef broth and diced tomatoes
- A jar of salsa
- A couple of cups of water
- ¼ cup of chili powder
- A couple of tbsp of Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp of steak sauce
- Some cheddar cheese
- A tbsp of dried basil
- A teaspoon each of salt, garlic powder, and ground black pepper
- Cook ground beef, green pepper, onion, and celery ribs in a large Dutch oven.
- Continue heating until meat turns brown and veggies feel tender.
- Add the beans along with the remaining ingredients, other than cheese and onions.
- Boil it and then reduce the heat.
- Let it simmer without covering it for half an hour.
- Transfer into serving bowls and use cheddar cheese and onions for garnishing.
Tip: Learn about beef grades, like choice, prime, and select, to get appropriate juiciness, tenderness, and flavor.
What Can You Make with 2 Pounds of Ground Beef?
When you have 2lbs of ground beef, you can use it in many recipes, but the simplest is to cook it in the oven.
Here is how to do it:
- Begin by preheating your oven to 425F.
- Take a large baking dish and line it with aluminum foil.
- Take the meat and break it into smaller pieces.
- Now bake for 12-15 minutes.
- Take it out and turn the meat with the help of a spatula.
- Look for any clumpy pieces and break them up.
- Put it back in the oven and bake for another 12-15 minutes.
- Take it out of the oven and set it aside until it is cool.
Seasoned Ground Beef
Seasoned ground beef is handy for making quick dinners.
Stuffed peppers, tacos, and other delicious meals start with seasoned ground beef.
- 2lbs of ground beef
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 tbsp each of granulated onion and garlic
- 2 tsp of ground cumin
- ¼ tsp of cayenne powder
- 1.5 tsp of kosher salt
- Fresh pepper
- Take some oil in a large pan and set it over high heat.
- Put the ground beef in as the oil begins to smoke.
- Use the wooden spoon to break up the ground beef and spread it in the pan.
- Now use the seasoning. Crack some fresh pepper onto the dish.
- Break up any beef lumps that may have formed and stir the mixture occasionally.
- Cook the beef for 15 minutes or until it is browned and tender.
- Enjoy while it is still hot!
What Can You Cook with ½ Pound of Ground Beef?
Having trouble coming up with new ways to use leftover ground beef?
There is no need to look any further than these hearty dishes that call for only a half-pound of ground beef.
You can make a number of dishes using ½lb of ground beef, like cheddar meat loaves, pizza in a bowl, Rellenos casserole, and more.
But, the following are the simples to try.
Make Beef Rolls
- 1/2lbs of ground beef
- A small onion
- 1/4tsp of pepper
- 1/2tsp of salt
- 2 cups each of broccoli and cheddar cheese
- 6 hard rolls
Step #1: Cook Beef
Begin by preheating your oven to 450F.
Take a large skillet and put onion and broccoli in it. Cook it for 4-6 minutes. Then crumble beef and add some salt and pepper to taste.
Step #2: Prep the Roll
Take a hard roll and cut about one-third of the top.
Now, carefully hollow out the bottoms, only leaving shells no thicker than half an inch. Place it on a baking sheet.
Step #3: Fill Up the Shells
Tear the crusts removed from the rolls into ½-inch pieces. Add 1-1/2 cups of the cheese-beef mixture and stir.
Put into the bread shells.
The remaining cheese should be sprinkled on top.
About 10 to 15 minutes in the oven should do the trick to get the cheese melted and the dish heated thoroughly.
Tip: Take your time to ensure that you nail the browning of the beef perfectly to get the best results out of any recipe.
It is natural to ask, “What can I make with 3lbs of ground beef?” or what you can do with any leftover ground beef?
Thankfully, you can find a long list of recipes that use a varying quantity of beef.
But, the best thing is to get your beef cooked and stored properly to use as and when needed.